Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Judge people not by their appearance

Tidbits of this news story have been reaching me via social media since Monday, but I saw the full story on The Today Show this morning.



Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy


I have to say this particularly bothers me, because I frequently am disturbed by the number of female journalists and broadcasters who feel they must use their appearance in order to "make it" in the industry.

I think it began with Erin Andrews. Her popularity was due, in large part anyway, to her appearance. I think she's a decent sports reporter, but why did her success really skyrocket? The majority demographic for college football is men, and - at least I'm told - she's a very attractive woman.

It's a shame that women like Erin Andrews, Jenn Brown and other sports or news TV reporters can't be promoted and respected for their abilities and hard work and must instead flaunt their appearance to gain notoriety. What does that say about our society?

I'm glad, then, that Jennifer Livingston spoke out against this email from a male. Jennifer's resume speaks for itself. She worked her way up to an anchor position and has earned an Emmy Award for her work.

The person who emailed her about her weight stated clearly he doesn't even watch the news program. I think he's less worried about her ability to be a role model and more worried about seeing thin, attractive (at least in his perspective) female anchors.

When are we going to start valuing people based on their character, abilities and hard work rather than appearances?

     

No comments:

Post a Comment