Monday, October 1, 2012

If I won the lottery...

If I won the lottery, I'm NOT going to Disney World. I grew up there! (Well, maybe I'd go once, just to check out the redesigned Fantasy Land.)

People always talk about what they'd do if they won a lot of money, so here's my rendition. It's changed over the years, I think.
  1. I'd pay off my debts and the debts of my close family members, especially my parents. They have helped me out more than any parents should ever have to help their children, so of course I want to return the favor exponentially if I can. 
  2. I'd set aside money for my nephew, James, and my great-niece/nephew, Callie and Case, so they could go to college. I'm grateful I got an education, but I got it at a steep price - namely, my never-ending student loans. I know my nephew will have money from the post-9/11 GI Bill, but still...
  3. I'd buy a modest house on a great piece of land in the country. I have always wanted to have a horse, and so, if I could afford someone to help me care for one, I'd finally have it. I think I'd stay there most of the time as my primary residence. I'm thinking somewhere in Tennessee or North or South Carolina.
  4. I'd buy a nice condo or house on a beautiful beach, likely somewhere in Florida. I used to think I could never live in a landlocked area, but if I had the means to visit the beach often, I have found I also really love the mountains and a rural area, too.
  5. I would set up a couple of hefty endowments for causes or charities near and dear to my heart. Obviously, one of those would be to my alma mater, the University of Florida, and the other would be to an animal welfare organization. I can say conclusively that any charity in the running for my contribution would be subject to some strict requirements, such as the majority of funding going to the cause rather than administrative overhead or marketing. (I'm speaking to you, Humane Society of the United States. You will NOT be getting a dime.)
Those are top five for me. I am sure there would be plenty of other items on my list, such as a tithe. But I have to find a church I truly love first! I'd do plenty of traveling, as well as learn to play guitar, speak another language and do more scuba diving.

Here's to dreams! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment