Friday, August 17, 2012

Tyrann Mathieu in rehab

I'm disturbed to hear that former LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu has foregone enrolling in an FCS school in favor of entering a rehabilitation program. It's not because I don't want people who truly need help to seek it out, but because his "rehab" is merely a PR stunt to win favor and get back on the field with the Tigers in 2013.

One thing I really like about LSU is that its policy on drug use for athletes is stronger than that at my own alma mater, the University of Florida. (It's definitely something we can do better, Gators!)

It's all but fact, now, that Mathieu was kicked off the team for violating its drug policy, seeing as he has publicly "entered rehab." But if LSU allows him back on the team, its policy basically goes to pot - no pun intended.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a stickler for rules and regulations. If it says three strikes and you're out, LSU, then he's out. I don't care that he's the "Honey Badger." It doesn't matter if he goes through rehab and stays in school at LSU. He knew the rules and completely disregarded them. No doubt he thought he was above the rules because "Honey Badger don't care" and "Honey Badger takes what he wants."

Players at all levels and in all universities need to start understanding the privilege they have in playing football at the collegiate level, especially for FBS schools with national title hopes year in and year out.

Follow the rules, and everything will work out fine. Don't, and lose your opportunity at free college, a football career and all the perks that come with it. Hundreds of athletes would kill to be where you are, so if you blow it, tough luck.

Actually, it has nothing to do with luck at all, and more to do with the fact that you can't stop smoking weed for three years in order to earn the opportunity of a lifetime.

If I knew I could earn millions of dollars per year if I just kept my nose to the grindstone and stayed out of trouble, I could give up anything for two to three years. I don't feel sorry for you at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment