Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Class and Morals...or Lack Thereof

Waiting for my shuttle in to work today, a young lady on campus walked by wearing spandex leggings with boots and a sweatshirt that barely met her waistband, much less covered her extremely exposed bottom half. (Can't say I'm surprised she also carried a tri-delt sorority bag. Sorry, girls.)

This prompted me to later tweet: "Ladies, leggings or tights aren't substitutes for pants unless you're going to the gym/yoga."

Surprisingly, two men replied that they agreed with me and were glad someone of my gender had the guts to say it. One said he liked to leave something to the imagination.

But overwhelmingly, men responded they disagreed, and that any man who said otherwise was lying to me. (Ladies stayed out of the discussion almost entirely, except for one follower who chimed in that pajama pants should also stay at home.)

I realize men are visual, and perhaps their nature is to look or lust after girls who dress that way. But what's important to me is that a man be respectful. Yes, women have partial responsibility in carrying themselves with class and dignity, but men can do the same.

I'm looking for good, respectful men who, instead of leering after a girl dressed that way, will turn their heads.

It reminds me of a time I got on the RTS bus at UF on my way to class one afternoon. I was sitting in the front seats that line the walls of the bus, facing each other. A young lady got on and sat down across from me with a miniskirt so short that even with her legs clamped closed, I could still see her underwear.

A young man got on the bus and sat in the first row of seats facing forward, and then blatantly began to stare at the girl.

There's a lack of class on both sides here. Girls, it IS in fact possible to meet a good man without exposing most or all of your body to the world.

And men, just because a woman shoves her body in your face doesn't mean you have to respond; unless, of course, you're no better than a dog in heat on the street, and I will treat you accordingly.

I suppose I'm stuck in the 1950s, as far as my expectations go. But as for me, and any son or daughter I may have, they will learn better.

No comments:

Post a Comment